How to enable a wifi adapter in kali linux

Most video on this topic dont really work. How exactlt exactly can we enable a wifi adapter or add a wifi adapter in kali linux

Are you using VM or dual boot?

Am using a vmware. I installed kali on a vm

1 Like

When using KALI in a VM, you’ll need an external (USB) dongle for the WiFi. Make sure you have one that supports promiscuous mode. You’ll thank me for that afterwards.

@sundayafolabi You can’t use your onboard wireless chip as a wireless interface in a virtual machine. The reason behind this is because Vm NATs your internet connection to the VM as a Wired Connection. However this is not a case with Kali Linux it’s a case with Vm software. You need to buy a separate external USB wireless device such as Alfa for this issue. You can go for dual-boot to permanently solve this problem. Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Yes, but after buying a new wireless device, how will I use a dual-boot

You can adjust the settings before launching the VM on windows, make sure you check Every steps when you create a new VM with windows

Sometimes ethernet is detected but keep checking config before U launch

Here it is two different questions. One is a dual-boot and another is vm. If you want to use linux only in virtual environment then you should go for a external usb wireless device. If you can use linux in a dual-boot environment then don’t buy a external usb wireless device and use wifi as an inbuilt feature. Hence saving you quite good amount of money. You can still use external wifi device with dual-boot.

Well… you do need a WiFi card with promiscuous mode if you want to go all the way (especially for stuff like wireshark and WEP or WPA cracking)

I agree, however. If you have a TP-Link 722N version 1, here are some commands to get usb wifi working in VM or VirtualBox.

How can I get my wifi card TP-Link TL-WN722N to work in Kali-Linux VMware 12

Your USB wifi already listed through lsusb command the ID 2357:010c is IDvendor and the IDproduct of the TP-Link TL-WN722N USB wifi.

2 ways to install the driver :

The wired connection is required

1. open the terminal and run the following command:

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get dist-upgrade
reboot
then

apt-get install dkms git
git clone https://github.com/lwfinger/rtl8188eu.git
dkms add ./rtl8188eu
dkms build 8188eu/1.0
dkms install 8188eu/1.0
modprobe 8188eu
2) by compiling the source

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get dist-upgrade
reboot
Use the command apt-get install gcc make linux-headers-$(uname -r) to install the appropriate linux-headers pacakge , then run :

git clone https://github.com/lwfinger/rtl8188eu.git
cd rtl8188eu
make
make install
modprobe 8188eu

Helped me and hope it helps someone else.