Infosec Certification Advice

I have seen certifications offered from several different companies.
My question is which one is the right one?

Not neccesarily “the right” one but which one would carry more weight in the process of trying to get hired.

Hello, it really depends on what position you want to get. Are you interested in penetration testing, network security or web application security?

Penetration testing, and network security are what interest me the most.

I have been trying to learn more about networking lately since I noticed in an interview I watched on youtube that you mentioned how important it was for a pentester and I have always had an interest in it.

I also am into development I love creating stuff and watching it work LOL.

Great, in that case, I would recommend starting off with the following certifications (they are not mandatory, but they will give you the best foundation going forward.

• Network +

• Linux +

• Security +

Here are some advanced certifications, these are some of the best options available, I have listed them in the order in which they should be taken.

• OSCP - This is a pen-testing specific certification.

• SANS (Some of the most recognized certifications) - GPEN, GSEC

• CISSP

Note: This is my opinion, and you should come to your own conclusion.

3 Likes

You’re makng my brain melt just thinking about all of that haha.
I was thinking though wouldn’t Linux + come first?

Not necessarily, the top 3 can be done in whatever order you are comfortable with.

Ok I understand.

I was just researching Network + a little and theres about 5 or 6 more(and maybe ones I haven’t heard of) that can go along with it if one wants to be a network admin.

A little overwhelmed by what I read but I can do it if I set my mind to it.
Thank you ver much for the information your opinion is welcome to me.

Should i go for the CEH certification or its not needed.

Most companies gave more attention to CEH certified when we compare it to OSCP certified,

Though CEH is nothing in front of OSCP from my opinion.

You should take both CEH and OSCP if you can afford their price, otherwise it is not necessary to take certification, unless you are thinking to apply for any specific post in IT company .

These certification will help you to give preference to you but it didn’t going to assure 100% job.

The thing which will going to assure you 100% job is your knowledge.

Work on your knowledge, learn whole CEH curriculum or any other curriculum,

Then you will automatically able to decide that whether you should go for certification or not

4 Likes

Is there any specific place you’d recommend taking the Linux, network and security certifications from?

What about the eJPT after the Sec+ then maybe the eCPPT then OSCP

If you want a recognizable Linux cert, take the RHCSA.

1 Like

My path is the eJPT, security and Network+ Get an entry level job then focus on the eCPPT and oscp I’m into practicality in certs cause honestly CEH is trash