What Can I Do With Remote Access To My Router?

Ok. So I have turned on remote router access to my router at home, where I have an iPhone, 2 laptops connected by WiFi, and a desktop on the ethernet. I have removed the firewall and lowered protection so I can have easier access from outside. I have also turned on some services, namely FTP, IMAP, POP3, SSH, HTTP, and some others - as advised by someone.

What I now want to do is ‘experiment’ with what I can do from another location with remote access. For example - if I wanted to see the file systems on my desktop/laptop - how would I go about it? How do I FTP into my desktop if I don’t have permission? Should I use Metasploit or can I use SSH? What other tools should I be using on Kali?

I’m still slightly confused about using the router and DCHP…I understand that the devices attached are given an internal IP (192.168.0.**) but I’m not sure how to access these IP’s directly from outside the LAN. How do I ‘log in’ so to speak from a remote PC to my router and pivot to the desktop PC (if that’s the right terminology)? Do I use SSH, Metasploit or other tools? As you can tell I’m quite new to this.

I don’t want step-by-step solutions - I fully understand the key to learning is to actually do things for myself, I just need a little guidance on where to go from here and what to do next (SSH, FTP etc). Can anyone help point me in the right direction? Any advice would be much appreciated.

First learn about Networking, Then Wireshark, Nmap ( read up the Idle Scan ) and Metasploit

1 Like

Thank you, ThinWhiteDuke. Simple, straight-to-the-point advice…just what I was looking for. I’ve got a massive learning curve ahead of me but I’m fascinated to be learning again. I feel like the kid I was decades ago trying to learn how to program my new ZX81…I had never even seen a computer before that and when the TV screen lit up and I realised I could tell it what to do, I was captivated forever. The nostalgia actually gives me goosebumps and raises my heart rate…Just looking at a terminal window takes me right back there…like a kid in a new world - I’m all lit up and wide-eyed again with fascination and wonder.