Advantages of using Linux in Virtual Environment?

What are the advantages of using Kali Linux in a virtual environment? Also from anonymity point of view.

1 Like

VM generally gives an extra layer on your hardware anonymity.

Also if you split the storage you have in your virtual OS and your booting OS,you have an extra layer of protection in the case you get a virus or ransomware etc. as a result your main OS is safe.

In forensics level,it does not give you so much anonymity because there are many serious data that can be collected from your RAM, FRAM etc.

Also agencies have many ways to detect your real IP by doing VM escapes by finding VM’s program vulns.

What I recommend for anonymity is the USB live and not VM if this is the answer you want.
But VM is really practical if you want to make a lab for forensics,or malware analysis or other linux staff.

I hope I helped :wink:

1 Like

How is this possible?

You mean leakVM?

I am not very expert at forensics, but there are ways like cold-boot that help RAM data collection and some RAM chips staff that I do not know.You can search on the internet if you want to dive deep about RAM forensics.

I do not know if it’s called like that :sweat_smile: . I know it as VM escape,but I suppose that it’s the same

I have been tossing around the idea of dumping a course for CHFI “Computer Hacking Forensic Investigator” Just like I did with the CEH “Certified Ethical Hacker” course I dumped. What do you guy’s think?

Virtual Machine Escapes are highly sought after exploits. Here is some good info explaining more in depth. https://www.techrepublic.com/article/10-new-vm-escape-vulnerabilities-discovered-in-virtualbox/

1 Like

For anonymity purposes as R4gn4r said: Use a live bootable USB drive. However USB speed sucks so use USB 3.0 for better speed. You may also use it for hacking too but then again follow basic anonymity principles while hacking which are discussed quite a times in this forum.

2 Likes

[quote=“MoNsTeR, post:5, topic:2278”]
I have been tossing around the idea of dumping a course for CHFI “Computer Hacking Forensic Investigator” Just like I did with the CEH “Certified Ethical Hacker” course I dumped. What do you guy’s think?
[/quote]that sound really good to me, because there is no very much staff for Forensics there. I would be very interested :grinning:.
Can you reply your CEH course link?

1 Like

Hi @R4gn4r , Here is the link you requested Want To Become A Certified Ethical Hacker? and I will get the CHFI course dump going.

1 Like